Sr. Legal Counsel @ Valar
Major League VC
Sr. Legal Counsel @ Valar
New York City
Founded in 2010 by James Fitzgerald, Andrew McCormack and Peter Thiel, Valar Ventures is a New York-based venture capital firm with approximately $2.0B in assets under management. The firm focuses on investing in high growth financial technology companies across the globe. Valar has led the Series A financings in a number of breakout fintech companies, several of which have gone on to reach “unicorn” status including Transferwise, BlockFi, N26, Stash, Xero and BitPanda. You can learn more about Valar’s portfolio HERE.
Valar is seeking to expand its legal team with the addition of a dynamic corporate lawyer with extensive venture financing deal experience. This hire will work closely with all members of a tightly-knit (5 person) firm to provide legal support on financing and M&A transactions, forming new funds, advising portfolio companies and other legal and compliance matters.
This newly-created position will report to Reuben Kobulnik, the firm’s Operating Partner and COO and will be based in person at the firm’s office in NYC.
- Negotiating deal structures and the terms of the firm’s investments, in companies ranging from seed-stage to growth -stage.
- Working with outside counsel to ensure swift and orderly deal closing processes.
- Advising portfolio companies on corporate and other legal matters.
Fund operations and companies:
- Lead administration of fund compliance programs.
- Assist with legal and operational aspects of fundraising
General operational legal matters:
- Support operations team on a broad range of legal matters, including firm and portfolio company related regulatory filings, reviewing and negotiating vendor contracts, employment matters, NDA’s etc.
- Quick, versatile thinker and doer with exceptional communication skills.
- Hard work ethic and attention to detail.
- Able to work full-time in person in NYC, starting in Q2 2021.
- Admitted to a State bar and in good standing.
- Strong undergraduate academic credentials and JD from an accredited law school.
- 3-10 years of experience as a corporate associate at a nationally recognized law firm, with solid early-stage / venture capital advisory experience.
- Deep expertise structuring, negotiating and drafting agreements for VC investments (company- and/or investor-side) in technology company financings ranging from seed to growth-stage, as well as exits (M&A and IPO).
- Experience working or studying internationally and/or advising on venture capital investments in non-U.S. jurisdictions is a major plus.