Is your passion focusing on cutting edge civil rights litigation serving those most in need? Then this job is for you.
LAC’s litigation and legal services program has established cutting edge legal precedents and provided legal services that helped tens of thousands individuals with conviction and arrest records, substance use disorders, or HIV/AIDS overcome discrimination and privacy violations in myriad walks of life, including employment, housing, education, and health care. And now, you can have the chance to be a leader for change in this amazing organization.
Your role will include developing and managing an active litigation docket of cutting-edge cases working to expand access to addiction medication in the criminal legal and health care systems, challenge criminal conviction-related employment discrimination and illegal background screening, and vindicating HIV privacy rights. (Read about LAC's impact litigation and legal services.)
• Developing, conducting, and leading cutting edge individual and class action litigation, including through amicus briefs. Includes developing and maintaining relationships with pro bono and other co-counsel (e.g., private plaintiff-side firms and public interest groups).
• Helping to continually evolve the strategic vision for litigation and legal services as a key complement to policy strategies, in coordination with Vice President of Legal Advocacy and Vice President for Health Initiatives, and directing its implementation.
• Supervising two staff attorneys and an Equal Justice Works Fellow.
• Participating in the “attorney on call” rotation, through which four attorneys alternate providing guidance to paralegals about serving clients and cultivating litigation opportunities; Litigation Director will work closely with Senior Staff Attorney for Legal Services to ensure alignment of paralegal services with litigation goals.
• Providing training to health and social service providers, lawyers, and others working in the criminal legal and health fields and serving as a public thought leader on the issues central to LAC’s litigation.
• Engaging in the broader advocacy work related to LAC’s litigation and legal services by working with the policy and communications teams to help shape LAC’s policy agenda, conduct limited policy advocacy, and serve as a media spokesperson.
• 10+ years of experience conducting all aspects of civil trial and appellate litigation, including case development and filing, discovery, evidentiary proceedings, appeals, and settlements, with a strong background in civil rights, public interest law, and impact litigation.
• Demonstrated ability to inspire, lead and support the growth and development of a team of attorneys.
• Proven ability to develop and implement a vision and strategy for litigation.
• Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity.
• Experience in plaintiff’s side employment work, criminal justice, or privacy strongly preferred.
• New York Bar required.
This search is being led by Karen Vladeck (Karen@whistlerpartners.com). Please contact her for a confidential conversation.
Job Post Related Tags: